This year, we’re working with UF Dance Marathon & UF Health to provide donations to Shands’ Child Life Program. Please bring your in-kind donations with you to the Gator Run! There will be collection bins at the registration area. Thank you for helping us bring lots of smiles to children at UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital!
About the Child Life Program:
A visit to the hospital can be a frightening experience for children and families alike. Illness, injury, painful procedures, strange surroundings, separation from friends and family, and changes in familiar routines can all add up to stress and anxiety for any child or teenager. The Child Life team at UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital helps children and families manage the hospital experience by providing support, by educating about the hospital and healthcare procedures, and by providing a variety of opportunities for play and expression.
Example services include:
* Age-appropriate activities in playrooms and at bedside
* Therapeutic play, including “medical play”
* Education and preparation for new experiences, medical procedures, and surgery
* Relaxation techniques and other coping tips to use during medical procedures
* Education and support for families, including brothers and sisters
* Coordination of special event and entertainment visits by members of the community
For more information, visit https://ufhealth.org/child-life-program/overview.